Many professionals have coaches. While most people associate coaching with athletes, there are countless executives and business professionals who also use coaches for many of the same reasons that athletes use them – to improve performance, gain insight and to become better at what they do.
It’s not just executives who have identified the value of working with an executive coach. Many savvy professionals see the value an executive coach provides in helping them get to the next level in their career.
“Executive coaching is hot. What was stigma (“You’re so broken you need a coach?”) has become status symbol (“You’re so valuable you get a coach?”). Tiger Woods and Michael Phelps have coaches. Even President Barack Obama has a coach, if you count David Axelrod. Microsoft ‘s young high-potential leaders get coaches. If elite athletes and organizations think they need coaches, shouldn’t you have one too? Shouldn’t we all?” says Douglas McKenna on Forbes.
8 SIGNS YOU COULD BENEFIT FROM AN EXECUTIVE COACH
The one question many people struggle with is knowing whether or not they need an executive coach. Here are some signs that an executive coach is worth pursuing:
- You want to grow personally and professionally
- You want to learn from your past mistakes
- You want to become a better leader
- You want someone to confide in and discuss your ideas
- You want to become more self-aware and be better a reflecting upon your actions
- You want to develop and refine your career plan
- You want to make yourself better so you can better serve others
- You are willing to invest your time and effort – executive coaching is not a short term fix, it’s a long term career development solution
BENEFITS OF WORKING WITH AN EXECUTIVE COACH
Working with an executive coach can benefit you in many ways, including the following:
- You can gain a deeper understanding of yourself
- It can help you improve your performance and achieve better results
- It gives you the opportunity to work through personal and professional issues
- It helps you become more self-aware about your thoughts and beliefs
- It gives you a dose of the truth. Executive coaches will tell you as it is and won’t sugar coat anything
- You can get support for improving a specific skill or attribute
- It can help you find clarity about your career path
MORE INSIGHTFUL HR BLOGS
Jesse’s role with AugmentHR is to seek out organizations that can truly benefit from our unique approach to solving HR and talent acquisition problems. After 17 years in the recruitment industry, Jesse is driven to educate on more efficient and cost effective ways to approach hiring. Jesse has worked in every facet of talent acquisition: staffing, corporate, consulting, and as an independent contractor. He has a keen interest in helping others and spends much of his time volunteering with non-profit organizations, like CivicAction, 360Kids and Treble Victor Group. Always on the move, Jesse fills the rest of his free time competing in a variety of sports. Jesse is a former 5 time Karate Ontario champion, military biathlon champion, and an Ironman triathlete.