IS YOUR COMPANY COMPLIANT WITH NEW ACCESSIBILITY REQUIREMENTS?
Ensuring that your organization is fully accessible and accommodates the needs of people with disabilities is not only important – it’s the law!
As of January 1st, 2017, businesses and non-profits in Ontario with less than 50 employees must make sure they meet Ontario’s Accessible Employment Standard.
ARE YOU COMPLIANT? NOT SURE?
To meet the new standard, small businesses with fewer than 50 employees are required to meet the following 4 requirements:
- Hiring: You must notify employees and the general public that you will accommodate the needs of people with disabilities as part of your hiring process. This can be posted on your website or job ad.
- Workplace information: You are required to provide workplace information in an accessible format if requested by an employee.
- Talent and performance management: You are required to consider the needs of persons with disabilities during performance management or career development process.
- Communicate accessibility policies: You are required to inform your employees about your policy to support people with disabilities. This can be communicated through email, on your website, and other channels.
WHAT ABOUT BUSINESSES WITH 50+ EMPLOYEES?
Companies with more than 50+ employees were required to meet the above 4 requirements in addition to 2 additional requirements as of January 1st, 2016.
The two additional requirements for compliance are:
- Accommodation plans: You must have a written process for accommodating people with disabilities – including meeting the criteria as set out by the Accessible Employment Standard.
- Return to work process: You must have a written process to support employees who have missed work due to a disability.
Learn more about the new accessibility requirements on the Government of Ontario website.
NOT SURE IF YOUR COMPANY MEETS THE NEW ACCESSIBILITY REQUIREMENTS? WE CAN HELP!
At AugmentHR, we understand that ensuring you meet Ontario’s Accessible Employment Stardard can be confusing and challenging. Rather than worry about whether you followed the proper protocol and have the correct paperwork, allow us to do it for you! AugmentHR is offering HR services to get companies AODA compliant. Let us help you become compliant so you can have the peace of mind in knowing your business meets the new standards. Contact us today!
Get more HR advice by reading our blog! Check out some of our past posts:
Felicia is the manager of human capital solutions at AugmentHR. With over six years of recruitment experience coupled with multi-faceted HR roles, Felicia is an expert in matching people with the right role and environment. She has worked in many different industries, including investment banking, HR consulting firms, medical, and commercial. Understanding people is one of her strengths, and she has recruited at every level, from directors, project managers, and engineers to operators and general labourers. Her ability to network and develop relationships has been a key tool to her success. With approximately two years of experience managing people and creating a positive work environment, Felicia’s diverse skill set makes her a well-rounded individual. Her business education and background help her identify different business needs and human capital solutions.